Over the past several years, motion graphics have swept the nation in popularity. If you’re wondering exactly what motion graphics are, let me tell you. Motion graphics are pieces of animation or digital footage which create the illusion of motion or rotation and are usually combined with audio for use in multimedia projects. In layman’s terms, you can think of motion graphics as communication in motion. They provide a simple way to visually explain, entertain and draw attention to products, services or even an idea. I bet you didn’t know that Graphics Interchange Format or (GIFs), one of the most recognizable formats of motion graphics, were introduced in 1987. That is over three decades ago! However, back then GIFs were not what they are today. Motion graphics have advanced so far to where they are part of our everyday life whether we recognize them or not.
Here are a few of the most popular motion graphic types:
- Explainers, sometimes called infographics, are animated videos that take complex concepts and make them understandable. They tell a story using moving parts that help consumers retain important information.
- Promotional motion graphics are short videos designed to grab the audience’s attention, inform, and drive action such as buying a product or visiting a website.
- User interface (UI) animation is engineered to be used on interfaces and machines, such as computers, home appliances and phones.
- Logos, icons and titles can be animated with motion graphics to add a touch of originality. Consumers are much more likely to remember a logo that stands out and catches their eye.
Now, what is it about motion graphics that make them so imperative? Check out a few of these stats before we move on…
- By 2022, 82% of all internet traffic will be comprised of video views. (Cisco)
- If there’s no picture, video or gif, people are unlikely to read or engage. Videos are liked, shared, commented on, and reacted to. Video posts get 59% more engagement. (BuzzSumo)
- 59% of executives say they would rather watch a video than read text. (Wordstream)
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
- 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service by way of video. (HubSpot)
- Social media posts with video have 48% more views. (The Marketing Helpline)
- Tweets with a GIF see 55% more engagement than those without. (Twitter)
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined. (Brightcove)
As you can see, the current and future trends of digital marketing are heavily influenced by video, motion graphics and other attention-grabbing visuals. Motion graphics can provide your company with endless positive results that can be summed up into these three categories.
Whether motion graphics are designed to provoke emotion, educate or promote, all communication in motion has one thing in common – brand awareness. Motion graphics are guaranteed to reach a broader audience and increase brand recognition. The aesthetically pleasing imagery helps form deeper relationships with consumers and leaves them wanting more.
Behind the scenes, motion graphics are an important aspect of Search Engine Optimization. Because motion graphics grab attention and encourage action, consumers are more likely to interact and engage with a video or website. Consumers spend more time on websites with motion graphics and they are 75 percent more likely to visit a site after watching a video. The increased time, clicks, views, etc. are essential for a company to climb up the SEO rankings.
Increased Traffic & Sales
Ultimately by increasing brand awareness and enhancing SEO, the overall result will lead to increased traffic and sales. The more interaction your site has as a result of motion graphics, the more people you will reach, which in turn will increase your opportunity for sales.
The bottom line is that motion graphics produce results, and results are profitable. Motion graphics are here to stay, so it’s time to set your company up for success. Chances are it will be the best return on investment you’ve had in a while.
The ever-changing digital world always keeps us on our toes. At WRL, we pride ourselves on staying up to date with the most relevant and useful digital marketing tactics. Our team of professionals have years of experience creating spectacular motion graphics for numerous clients in a plethora of industries. Let WRL Advertising create a motion graphic for you that will keep your communication in motion!